This article describes how to use Timeline. This allows you to:
- Enable Timeline.
- Show/Hide Timeline.
- Populate a project’s Timeline.
- Adjust start and end dates.
- Assign tasks.
- Filter tasks.
- Toggle between fullscreen and split-screen modes.
Business or Enterprise users can use this feature. See this comparison chart that outlines MeisterTask's plans and prices.
How to use Timeline
Timeline is similar in concept to a Gantt chart. It allows you to see scheduled tasks in a project, displayed in a calendar view. Timeline provides the following at-a-glance information about your tasks:
- Scheduled start and end date.
- Project section.
The color of a task on the Timeline corresponds to the section the task is in. For example, if your ‘In Progress’ section is red, all tasks ‘In Progress’ will appear in red on your Timeline.
The end date and due date of a task are not necessarily the same. They can be set independently from one another.
Enable the Timeline
To enable the Timeline:
- Click (i) at the top of the project screen, then select Project Properties.
- Navigate to the Power-Ups tab.
- Enable Timeline & Scheduling.
Show / Hide the Timeline
- Click the Timeline icon at the top of the screen to show the Timeline.
- Click the icon again to hide it.
Populate the Timeline
You can populate the Timeline by adding tasks to it. There are several ways to do this:
- Drag and drop an existing task from your project board.
- Drag and drop multiple existing tasks from your project board. Use the CTRL key to select multiple tasks.
- Open an existing task and schedule a start and end date. Choose the start date and end date from the calendar.
- Double click on the Timeline and search for an existing task. Click the task to add it to the timeline.
- Double click on the Timeline and start typing to create a new task.
- Create a new task using the plus icon on the project screen and schedule a start and end date from the task dialog.
Adjust Start and End Dates
You can adjust start and end dates in the task dialogue or directly on the Timeline:
- Drag the node at the beginning of a task to change its start date.
- Drag the node at the end of a task to change its end date.
Clicking Reset in the task dialog will remove both the start and end date and remove the task from the Timeline.
To assign a task directly in the Timeline, click the user avatar (question mark for unassigned tasks) in the bar and search for an assignee.
When you filter tasks using the filters menu or by clicking an avatar from the right sidebar, these filters are applied to Timeline too. However, the schedule filter only affects the project board.
- Switch to fullscreen view for Timeline by clicking the expand icon.
- Go back to the split-screen view by clicking the icon again.
- Sort the Timeline by space (scheduled length) by clicking on the arrow icon and selecting from the drop-down menu.
- Sort the Timeline by start date from the same menu.
- Zoom in and out to see a smaller or larger time frame. To do this:
- Clicking the + and - on the timeline menu.
- Press Ctrl and scroll with the wheel on your mouse.
- Scroll using your touchpad or touchscreen with two fingers.
If you’re still having trouble…
- Read our blog article for more hints and tips on using Timeline.
- Contact MeisterTask Support for help.